16 Ways to Use Honey
Honey is one of those foods that is often overlooked for how amazing it is. The sweet taste is outstanding, but there are so many other uses for it around the house. It is more than just a sweetener, you can use it for a long list of health and beauty options. Because it is a natural antimicrobial, it can be used to substitute medications and topical creams, along with being a great addition to your beauty routine. There are a huge range of uses from healing wounds to soft, silky hair. Honey is one of the most versatile products.
Here are 16 ways to use honey that you may not have known about:
- Take the sting out of your burn – Place a layer of honey over a kitchen burn, sunburn or any other type of burn to help take away the sting. Let it sit for 30 seconds to a minute and rinse with cool water.
- Put it on cuts – Because honey is a natural antimicrobial, you can apply it to the wound, cover and it will not get infected.
- Wash your face – Mix a small amount of honey with warm water to scrub your face.
- Make your hair shiny – Mix 1tsp honey with 1qt warm water and allow hair to soak. Rinse and your hair should be soft and shiny.
- Get rid of white heads – Place a dab of it on breakouts, allow to sit for at least 30 minutes then rinse.
- Anxiety relief – a mixture of honey, ginger and lemon juice is suggested to help you relax.
- Put it on your lips – Create your own lipbalm by mixing beeswax, olive oil, cocoa butter and honey.
- Soothe a sore throat- Drink a mixture of lemon juice and honey to help soothe your throat and feel better quicker.
- Give yourself a boost of energy- Before your next workout, eat a Tablespoon of honey for a pick-me-up.
- Cure an upset stomach- Mix equal parts of honey, water and vinegar to cure an upset stomach (or sometimes known as backpackers stomach)
- Cure a hangover- Eat toast with honey or drink tea with honey in it. The honey will help your body to metabolize the alcohol in your system.
- Use it in your bath – Add a few Tablespoons to your bathwater to add a lovely aroma that will also help to soften your skin.
- Help you lose weight – Honey helps to increase your metabolism, so try adding it to your diet and it should help you to cut down some pounds a little faster.
- Replace your sweeteners - Using honey instead of sugar-free sweeteners and table sugar (sucrose) can help to actually lower your blood sugar.
- Improve allergies- Taking several teaspoons of local honey daily can help to improve the allergies you are suffering from. The small amounts of pollen in the honey will help your body to build up immunity to the allergen.
- Use in a athletic drink- Skip the extra sugars and all the bad stuff, mix honey with coconut water for a power packed drink.
What are some ways that you use honey? We have about 6 to 8 jars of honey on hand right now. Can you tell we love our honey? Always buy local honey. Besides tasting better, it is better for you, because it will not have been processed as much as the brands you will find in the grocery stores. Pure Raw Honey is the best!