DIY Orange Peel Candle
This is something that I have been wanting to do for-ever! Did you know that you can make a simple yet long burning candle using nothing but a few common kitchen ingredients? Below, you will find a step by step tutorial for how to craft your own orange peel candle. In no time, you can have a candle perfect for your decorating needs, or even in the case of emergency should the need arise. Take a look!
DIY Orange Peel Candle
Oil. Either canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil will work.
1. Begin by cutting your orange in half.
2. Take your knife and run it around the edges of the orange. This will loosen the fruit from the peel.
3. Take a fork and scrape out the inside of the orange. BE CAREFUL to NOT remove the inside stem. This is the white piece that rests in the center of the orange. It is rather tough, so just continue to scrape away the fruit around it.
4. Once the inside of your orange is nice and clean, you can fill it ¾ of the way full with oil. Remember you can use any oil of your choosing.
5. Let the oil sit in the orange for about 45 minutes. It is important to let the oil sit and the stem of the orange (the white piece) absorb it. This is what will help keep it burning well.
6. In 45 minutes, you can try lighting your orange. You will need a candle lighter to do this as a match or cigarette lighter does not stay lit long enough to get the job done. Hold the lighter to the stem and let it heat up the stem. You will need to do this for 2-3 minutes.
7. Let the stem rest for a moment. It should be nice and brown/black at this point. To the touch, it should feel dry now.
8. Try relighting the stem. This may take a few seconds. You should hear a little crackling and then the flame should take off on its own.
That’s it! I lit mine while working on the computer and it stayed lit for hours! Plus, it does let off a bit of a citrus smell and a soft crackling noise as it burns, so it was quite pleasant.
Place your orange in a safe place where the flame won’t pose any risk. When you are ready to “shut your candle off,” simply blow it out as you would any candle. Be careful not to blow too hard as you don’t want to splash the oil.
So gather your set of simple supplies and give this orange peel candle craft a try! Don’t have an orange on hand? You can also try this with a lemon, lime, or even a grapefruit!
Check out my party page to see where I am linking up at!